Public health is the science and art of creating healthy communities through education, research and promotion of healthy lifestyles. In public health, the focus is on health promotion and disease/injury prevention, in contrast to the medical model of care, which focuses more heavily upon diagnosing and treating illnesses and conditions after they occur. Focusing on prevention and the population public health is a distinct and ever-changing field.
Job Market: The projected percent change in employment from 2020 to 2030. The average growth rate is 12% (faster than the average).
Base Salary: $41,950 to $47,520
- Typical entry-level education: Bachelor's degree
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: None
- Is health care right for you? Visit explorehealthcareers.org
- Occupational Outlook Handbook